Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Second Chances


Ray Lewis. Love him or hate him. Guilty or not guilty. Ray Lewis has taken his second chance at life and football and thrived.

I have long hated the Baltimore Ravens and it started because of Ray Lewis. I didn’t follow the story that closely of what happened that night in Atlanta(I was only 12 years old), but I am someone who is influenced by my father. He was pretty certain from the details he was hearing that, Ray Lewis was a murderer or at least a part of it and didn’t stop it. So I have never rooted for Ray Lewis or the Ravens especially in Superbowl XXXV. I have since become a Steelers fan which fits in with hating the Ravens and Ray Lewis.

As we all look back on Ray Lewis’s career, since Superbowl XLVII will be his last game, we can see that he will go down as one of the top middle linebackers the game has ever seen and there is not a whole lot that can deny his talents of the game. Everyone that has played with Ray Lewis or been around him has talked about his intense and inspiring leadership that makes him such a special player. We have all seen him display his heart on his sleeve for the last decade plus of his career. It seems every year he is more and more inspiring, from his dance to his pre-game speeches, he always has his team ready to go.

I can’t tell you what happened that night in Atlanta, but Ray Lewis will tell you that he surrounded himself with the wrong people. He learned big lessons during that time of his life that putting yourself around like minded people that want what’s best for you and not around those that are trying to use you for fame or money. Something hopefully Michael Vick has learned as well.

We can sit here and debate if he is guilty and whether or not he served his punishment to society. All I can say is that whatever crimes he may have committed, he has admitted them to The Lord. Ray Lewis has opened his heart to Him and He has forgiven Ray for his past wrongdoings because He knew that Ray will change. God has a plan for all of us, and when Ray found God(probably sometime in the troubling times following the incident in Atlanta), He knew what Ray could do as a man and role model to society (forget about football). The ultimate second chance is through Him and Ray took it.  God has given Ray a huge second chance and he has taken it and I think this last playoff run has all been through Him to allow Ray to show the world what a great God we truly have. I must say that Ray is living up to his part and we should all listen.

I have much respect for Ray Lewis now, both as a man and as a football player, something I couldn’t say 10 maybe even 5 years ago. That being said I am still a Steelers fan and a west coast man, so go 49ers! But I know that Ray will do all he can to lead his team to victory. Win or lose, I know Ray will be speaking His name!

No comments:

Post a Comment