Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Primed, Focused, and Ready

Last workout is in the books. It all comes down to fuel and rest from here.

Four days away and it can't come soon enough. The waiting game has started.

My mind is fresh and ready to attack the marathon!

Hard to believe a year ago I felt that I was in the worst shape of my life. Coming off of 3 months of traveling and not really getting back into a routine the first month or two back. However, after putting in summer training runs during my one 2 hour break I had for the day at Camp Howard, I started to feel stronger. Then there was the relay race from Philomath to Newport. I wasn't expecting much, less than 2 months into my new running program. But I surprised even myself. I didn't think I would run nearly as well as I did! Then there was my run around Timothy lake. It was my longest run since high school and it felt easy and relaxed. I knew I was on my way to more long runs.

During the cross country season I maintained that strength, but now I had to find a goal, a reason to get even stronger. I had gone back and forth the last few years about when I should run my first marathon. Not that I was putting it off, but I had other running goals in mind and the marathon wasn't quite on that list yet. It was on my mind though. Towards the end of the cross country season, I decided the time has come and I would be stepping up to the marathon for the first time.

Five months later, I am ready to take on the challenge. My legs are fresh and tapered. My mind is fresh and mentally ready to take on the miles. The goals are in place and the focus is there to hit those goals. My body is primed and ready to go to the line. The butterflies are there and I am embracing them.

Ready, Set, Go....

No comments:

Post a Comment