Saturday, March 30, 2013

Take a history lesson, LeBron

Have I been hard on LeBron? Possibly. I never liked how hyped he was coming out of high school, even though I did see the potential, I just wanted to see it in the NBA for a few years before we anointed him the next great one. Then there was the decision. I didn't care that he left Cleveland(although I do like when players play for the same team, but it's not always possible), it was his choice to go where he wanted. Did he have to team up with another top 5 player? Well to win championships, that's usually how it goes. Michael and Scottie, Magic and Kareem, Russell and Cousy, Kobe and Shaq, Ducan and Robinson/Parker. The list goes on. You need great players around you. I just didn't like how he had to make the decision all about him and such a big deal. The media will already do that, but he helped the media make it even bigger.

All that being said though, I'm over it. Is Lebron the best player in the NBA now? Without question. It's tough to actually say it, but yes he is. Ever since game 6 of the eastern finals against the Celtics last year, he has figured something out. I'm not sure what changed, but he finally knows how to win. His heart is finally as big as his talent.

I'm over the decision and I've finally given into the fact that he's the best player, but there is still something that I can't get over. LeBron's comments about changing his number to 6 and that he thinks 23 should be a retired number around the league. There are two things that bug me about that:

1) He changed his number from Michael Jordan(23) to the Great Bill Russell(6), and if there was a number that should be retired around the league(though I don't think there should), it would be Bill Russell with 11 championships. So that was an interesting number change...

2) To even think that Michael Jordan is compared to what Jackie Robinson did in his sport and his generation is just crazy. I need to learn more about Jackie Robinson and I am excited for the movie "42" to come out, but even I know Jordan did not endure what Jackie did. I hope LeBron watches the movie and gets a history lesson too.

No comments:

Post a Comment